KS5 Further Learning Journey
Mathematics is an essential skill for life, whatever job you may find yourself in one day no doubt will use maths in some way. The maths department at Brinsworth strive to equip pupils with these skills. The philosophy of the department is based around students;
- Making excellent progress
- Applying skills to other subjects and the real world
- Accessing appropriate further education course or career choices
- Being financially competent
In Years 7 and 8, the year group is split into bands. Within each band pupils are set based on ability. Students are initially assessed upon entry in Year 7 and the results from the tests along with information from primary schools and Key Stage 2 results allows us to determine setting for pupils.
Pupils are regularly assessed throughout the year to identify, act and celebrate achievement made.
The Mathematics department at Brinsworth is made up of 14 staff and is committed to pupils making excellent progress in their mathematical knowledge and skills. The key aim of the mathematics curriculum at KS3 is to reinforce previous learning and ensure any new knowledge is firmly embedded and mastered by pupils.
The curriculum focuses on pupils exploring concepts in depth and mastering them before moving on, thus ensuring pupils make good to outstanding progress and secure a solid grounding of mathematical concepts and skills in preparation for KS4 and their GCSE Mathematics exams.
GCSE students follow the AQA specification for both higher and foundation tier.
Our teaching of this course aims to:
- Develop fluent knowledge, skills and understanding of mathematical methods and concepts.
- Acquire, select and apply mathematical techniques to solve problems.
- Reason mathematically, make deductions and inferences, and draw conclusions.
- Comprehend, interpret and communicate mathematical information in a variety of forms appropriate to the information and context.
A Level Maths is becoming an increasingly popular choice for sixth form students. The department has a large team of specialist staff, who are experienced in developing the most able mathematicians.
All students are issued with a login for SPARX which teachers use to help students revise and recap topics. Revision guides specific to the course are available to purchase in school.