There are many opportunities for our students to develop their leadership skills, both within curriculum areas and our strand system. We aim to provide these opportunities for our students by succeeding together as a community through a shared vision and our ethos, using student voice to make our school the best it can be. Student leadership is continually evolving as students take on more leadership roles. We listen to what our students would like to develop through regular strand meetings and student voice feedback..
Our core values are for our students to achieve excellence by demonstrating the 3 R’s Respect, Responsibility and Resilience through everyday interactions within our school community.
We have 3 strands in which our student leaders gain valuable experience and transferable skills. These strands are; Responsibility, Respect and Resilience. Each strand is led by a member of staff who will meet regularly with the student leaders partaking in meaningful activities linked to each strand.
Once a student has completed an academic year in post, they will graduate and be awarded with a strand badge before moving on to the next.
Students who show a real commitment and complete three years, achieving all three badges will be given the opportunity to become a senior student leader.
- To empower students to work in partnership with staff towards shared goals.
- To enable creativity as the school community benefits from the wealth of experiences, ideas, skills and sense of fun that students bring.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop leadership skills through a variety of inspiring, challenging and valued projects which impact positively on learning, teaching and well-being for both students and staff at Brinsworth Academy.
- To prepare students for Higher Education and for achieving personal and professional excellence in life after formal education.
- Provide a Student Leadership Badge for each ‘strand’ so they can be easily identified around school site by all members of the community
- Provide a wide range of participation and leadership opportunities which cater for all students in the school.
- Maximise the number and range of students undertaking leadership roles.
- Provide recognition of all Student Leadership roles
- Encourage students to differentiate between student participation and Student Leadership.
- Provide students with access to key staff for support and guidance
- Develop student participation and leadership skills in all students through specific programmes
- Develop ways to ensure equality for all.
- Celebrate the achievements of all students in written and verbal forms:
Student Leaders are the school’s role models. You need to be a student who works hard to reach our school’s expectation of good behaviour, 96% attendance, constant punctuality; you also need to be always in full and correct school uniform. As a Student Leader you will be required to wear your Student Leadership identification badge and daily monitor and respond to emails from strand leaders.
What Personal Qualities do I need?
- You should be able to build good working relationships with staff and students
- You should want to make a lasting impact at school and be involved in decision making
- You should be able to work well in a team
- You should have good time management skills e.g. balancing commitments
- You should be polite, mature, responsible, respectful and resilient at all times