Brinsworth Academy has excellent links with universities and our students benefit from a range of activities which support their transition to Higher Education.
We have a Partnership Agreement with Sheffield Hallam University and also work with the University of Sheffield, the University of Leeds, Bradford University, Cambridge University and the University of Newcastle.
In Y10 students take part in workshops run by Student Ambassadors from Sheffield Hallam University and attend a presentation given by students from the University of Cambridge.
In Y11 students take part in workshops with students from Newcastle University about Higher Education and university life. They also meet Graduate Ambassadors from Sheffield’s Higher Education Partnership to learn more about student finance.
Sixth Form students attend open days and taster days at a number of universities. Year 12 students also take part in workshops in school with ambassadors from: Cambridge, Newcastle, Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam Universities.
Other subject-specific links with universities include:
- Lego League Challenge: students compete annually at Sheffield Hallam University
- Annual POP Maths Quiz for Y7– Y13 at Sheffield Hallam University
- Level 3 BTEC Science students visit Hallam University Biochemistry labs
- Y12 EPQ students develop their research skills at the University of Sheffield
- MFL Film Summer School at Sheffield Hallam University for Y11 students who are going to study a language at A level
- Y12 Psychology investigation and analysis at Sheffield Hallam University
- Other post-16 Opportunities
Our Sixth Form students are encouraged to apply for programmes at the University of Sheffield which help them to learn about different professions, including:
- SOAMS (for Medicine)Discover the Arts and Humanities
- Discover Architecture
- Discover Law
- ADOPT (for Dentistry)
- Training Teachers
- The Academy also supports the ITT (Initial Teacher Training) programmes at Sheffield Hallam University and also works with Learners’ First School Direct in Rotherham. The departments involved in these schemes are Science, RE and MFL.
- Third year MFL students from the University of Sheffield visit our Languages department to talk to Year 8 and 9 students about life at university, their time abroad and why speaking a language is important